Identify the Importance of the Hebrew Bible
- TANAK is a word formed from the first letters of the three section names (Torah, Neviim and Kethuvim)
- It comprises of 24 books, which are similar to the 39 books of the Christian Old Testament.
- Represents historical events, and were written in the order of events.
- The TANAK is thought to have been written by many authors over many years.
- The Torah represents several intertwined reflections upon the past that validate contemporary understanding.
- The Neviim covers the period from the entry into the land of Israel to the Babylonian exile.
- The Kethuvim covers wisdom, literature, poetry and the latter historical works.
- The term “Hebrew” in Hebrew bible refers to the language that it is written and spoken in.