Identify the Importance of the Bible in Christianity
- Basic rituals and sacraments
- Prayer/ Reflection
- Domestic rituals e.g. grace before meals
- Aids in the physical practice, enactment and celebration of Christianity in life. Bible guides Christians in rituals and procedures in order to practice their faith. E.g. Jesus prays at decisive moments in his life- “One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.” (Lk 6:12).
- Develops Ethical guidelines
- Helps develop guidelines on how to act in certain situations, how to make decisions, promotes questioning of moral boundaries and therefore, better understanding of self, goals etc. E.g. difficult ethical teaching “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Mt 5:44)
Examine Extracts from the Bible which Demonstrate the Principal Beliefs of Christianity
- Nature of God
- Ministry and life of Christ – parables
- Key source of revelation- basis of understanding of the Christian faith- explains and teaches beliefs. E.g. “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling amongst us” (John 1:14).